Start a new topic

Thumbnail Scrubbing/Playback

Feature Request:

Ability to scrub a thumbnail to scan through movies, even if its limited amount of key frames

12 people like this idea

I'm pretty sure they've been thinking about it for a couple of years, Mikael.

Honest, the lack of this one feature is the entire reason I did not purchase.  It was the feature I was seeking to help me organize videos.

1 person likes this
Dan, they are coming out with 1.8 fingers crossed.. I agree it should have been implemented a long time ago...
Given the recent interview at Provideo Coalition: it won't be in 1.8, and maybe never.  It seems that it is a very difficult feature to implement well when considering the wide range of footage types and computing power  (e.g. scrubbing 8K raw on a laptop) and the worry is that this could destabilize the software.

Personally, I don't think hover scrubbing is a very practical feature, but I do think being able to quickly "rough" browse your footage is very useful.  Perhaps there is a compromise solution such as having a medium sized low-res "extra" window for auto playback as one moves through the thumbnails, with JKL for higher speed playback when wanted.

Thoughts?

Mark: When importing 8k red raw into Final Cut Pro X I can scrubb the footage little slow still workable. If it can be done in Final Cut Pro X surely it must be doable in Kyno... I'm not a programmer and I don't know how difficult it is to implement. 

The functionality that is important to me is to be able to quickly see all clips and be able to quickly decide what clips to keep. In my experience skimming or scrubbing through the clips are one of the fastest way...

I is possible to double clip on a clip and see fullscreen and go to next clip via the arrows. On ta Mac you can activate 3 finger for sliders which makes it easier to have a similar skimming functionality. Still you have to go back and forth to see the overview. It works but not the fastest way in my opinion...

Skimming/scrubbing in the overview of clips in a folder would be faster in my opinion. However we all have different workflows...

Hi Mikael, 

Final Cut and KYNO are very different programs owned by two vastly different size technology companies, so I am not sure you can make the logical connection.  However, I am basing my comments only on an interpretation of comments made by Lesspain representatives, so I may be wrong and they figure out how to do it.

I think you have pointed out the important element that wastes time when "rough" assessing footage: 

"you have to go back and forth to see the overview."   To clarify my suggestion, there would be a floating window on screen in addition to the multi-file thumbnail view and that window would display the contents of whatever file was selected.   But,  It is only a vague idea.  :)

Hi Mark 

I understand that KYNO and Final Cut Pro X are different programs and Apple probably have more resources than less pain for development... 

The floating idea is one idea and maybe the easiest to implement. Maybe the developer at KYNO has an even better solution let's... They have some great functionality within KYNO...

Agreed.   I will be using the product regardless  - just waiting for 1.8 final release.   :)

Mark: Me too

Sorry.... one additional thought that just occurred to me.   Magix Software (German owners of Vegas Pro) have got scrubbing figured out and I believe they are quite open to partnerships.  Perhaps Lesspain could offer to do a "send to Vegas Pro" and Magix can help them with the scrubbing.   Again, probably a crazy idea...

1 person likes this
Login or Signup to post a comment