Start a new topic

Screen display problems with Kyno 1.8

Hi,

I just downloaded Kyno 1.8 Trial to see how well it will work for my workflow with Resolve 16.2.x.

I have a newly built PC with the following specs:

AMD R9-3950x

Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080Ti (running the latest NVIDIA drivers (442.92))

64GB RAM

ASUS Crosshair VIII

2TB M.2 NVME Gen 4 SSD (Boot)

2TB (RAID 0, 4x500GB SSD) (video editing)

Dual Dell u2413 1920x1200 SDR monitors (calibrated)

I am testing the software on one of my daughter's soccer games. 

The first time I tried skimming through the first of 4 total videos it played back OK.  However, when I tried to actually create a sub-clip with in/out points and add metadata, the "screen" redraws began to get messed up. The Metadata, Content, Subclips, Tracks tabs "duplicated/overlapped" themselves.  In addition, the entire area below the video playback (excepting the time code, which was also duplicated/overlapped) turned into a solid, if irregular, white block (over the area where the File, Size, Modified, Created, etc. information is displayed).

I closed the application and tried again.  I was able to get most of the way through setting the in/out points and added the metadata, but by the time I finished with the first sub-clip and metadata, the area under the Devices (the area where drive/folder tree is displayed) had duplicated itself over the area that was white the previous time.

I do not have any similar problems with any other applications I use, including browser, Resolve, a couple games, etc., apps that I would expect to demonstrate problems if this were hardware (e.g. memory, video cards, etc.).  I currently have about 16GB RAM in use and about 46GB free.  Kyno is using just under 2GB of RAM.

I have been a formal beta tester for a number of applications in the past and this feels like that.  Is 1.8 not a full release?

I have attached an example of the screen redraw problem.  In this case, I was able to create sub-clips through about 26 min of video (the end of the first clip) and when I clicked on the "4 squares" icon to view all of the associated media in this sub-directory, you can see what happened.

The only way I know of to "fix" the problem is to close Kyno and restart it.

Is anyone else having similar problems?

Scott

1 person has this problem

No one has any thoughts?  Kyno tech support?  Kyno forum personnel?

For all practical purposes, it is unusable.  At least as a "professional" tool.  One of the reasons I left Adobe Premiere was because of the (less frequent) crashes.  Ok, Kyno hasn't "crashed", but the screen redraw issue makes it equally unable to use.

Scott

FWIW, I still have this problem. Kyno is almost impossible to use, as is. I have reinstalled with the same problem.
And this is the ONLY application that has this kind of problem. I'm interested in buying it, but I can't if it won't work...

I'm having this exact same problem on Window with Kyno 1.8.0.75.

1 person likes this
I'm sorry you are having this problem also, but I'm glad I'm not the only person. Makes me wonder how many people try Kyno, experience this kind of problem and just uninstall it. My 30-day trial is up and I was only able to look at a couple parts (that looked promising), but I'm certainly not going to pay $159 (much less $349) for software that doesn't work correctly/is unusable! I really hope they get this fixed soon. I'll probably try it again in a few months, but in the meantime I'll be doing projects with a lot of work that will be redundant if Kyno becomes workable on my system. Sigh! Scott

THIS IS happening on one my machine, it's running fine on a one machine as trial with nvidia 2060 running 20211.rs prerelease.200904-11619 w10 on 24coreintel

it is NOT working and exhibiting exactly what you describe.on nvidia 1650 i3 same os version (the current dev channel insider build)

I though memory leak, but it does it right from the install w/o any media in workspace.

It gets corupted when using any of the dropdowns like CONVERT OR THE FILTER DROP and all dropdowns in the file bar and everywhere else. 

It can only be used if you dont touch any of those and keyboard all over. but still all the export windows like send to resolve that has dropdowns and radio buttons.

so whatever is being used for the interface framework is not compatible or stable.  i dont know what this program is build in for the UI.

both machines have similar or same nvidia global 3d settings-  performance prefered rest is vanila settings.

being that it works on one machine and not the other is dealbreaking for purchase.

without response and resolution from devs, yall stop the multiple uninstall/installs or messing with your video drivers.  the app is incompatible.

hope it gets fixed- it's not a CATDV but it is way easier to tag a ton of footage and then shove it to resove and use smartbins (tags) makes it pretty good. but....

regards

l

1 person likes this
Sadly, the only responses to this thread are by people who are also having this problem. The devs seem to be unwilling to acknowledge, much less fix the problem. It is very frustrating to me as I can see a lot of potential, but, as is, it is unusable to me... Scott

1 person likes this

Yes, is bug so will likely have to splurge for CaTDV instead...

Scott, I've solved the issue and think i know how. let me know if you want the fix to try so you can properly evaluate the software before purchasing it.

now that i have it working i may purchase, but also evaluating  a great deal CATDV was offering me for a full version.

1 person likes this

@LAMAR - please share! Kyno is a critical part of our workflow and it's been a nightmare working around this issue.

Lamar, Yes, please do let us know what you have done to fix this problem! Kyno is the closest thing I've found to Adobe Prelude, especially that works with Resolve, and if really like to give it a fair shake if I can fix these display problems! Scott

guess it didnt save my response: here again,

not the most scientific but moving along it's one of 2 things.  its either

1. I was missing fonts from one machine (which the program worked on) so installed all  fonts from the working machine. Didnt check kyno after installing the missing fonts. (this is probably not the answer)
  2. I had experience with CATDV in the past and downloaded the current v13 desktop client for windows to see if I would upgrade it instead of getting kyno.  Installed CATDV13 desktop client.  out of the corner of my eye, i noticed it installed a separate c++ runtime distributable update during install,   After this I opened kyno to see what would export and import into catDV to notice that WOAH! Kyno magically worked without screen scramble or corruption.
so im not sure exactly what did it but that resdistributable thing was something i remember seeing installers do a lot with avid and others and out of the ordinary.

in any case i can now evaluate it fully to see if it does enough or if a full mam is needed.  it's running whatever the current windows insider os and current sept nvidia studio drivers.  also i messed a bunch with the properties trying to run as admin and changed hi dpi to all the options to leave that on system managed.

if it helps great, if not it's at least a quick thing to try.

search for CATDV and get the CATDV 13 desktop trial, not pegasus.

I am also having these issues. I have used Kyno on three different Windows machines, and the first two were fine. The most recent install is the problematic one. I know from cracking open the debug logs that there are Java exceptions related to repainting. I tried upgrading my Java VM but that did not seem to help (I believe Kyno is hardcoded to use a VM it came bundled with, but interesting to learn it’s apparently Java under the hood). This last bit is what makes me skeptical that the fix is related to a missing C++ dependency implied by the previous message since I would expect the Java VM to have that covered. I haven’t tried these fixes, though, so I won’t dismiss them yet.

yeah, i tried different javase and sdk stuff since i needed to install that anyway, nothing different.

all i'm sayin is nothing changed on  the 'broken' installation until i put the other software and /or fonts (not likely) on thinking that it installed some missing dependency.

it worked correctly directly after install of catdv.  surprised to see so much activity on this and nothing from the dev...i'd put a support ticket in a bit back but nothing...

Login or Signup to post a comment